April is a wife, mother, grandmother, business owner, activist and community leader.
We need members of Congress who have the guts to stand up for what's right and who will work tirelessly for constituents. April will be that strong advocate, who will serve with honor in Washington.
From a young age, April has felt compelled to live her life serving her community.
Through, her Aunt and Great-Grandfather, April witnessed the positive effects caring elected officials have on a community. April, also learned the value of hard-work and determination growing up the oldest daughter in a working family. Which is why she spent the last two Election cycles running to be a representative in Congress.
April's goal has always been to advocate policies that will better serve the needs of people right here in Florida.
As your representative, April will defend our community, our seniors, our children, our veterans and our environment by pursuing policies that make sense and work. April will work with other elected officials to ensure everyone benefits from policies that will impact them positively.
April has the experience necessary to help lead our country into and through the next decade. She has a BA in Communication Studies with additional studies in Environmental Science, Economics and Political Science at Yale University, Graduate of the Women’s Campaign School at Yale, through Yale Law School in New Haven, Connecticut.
April is a business owner, working in film and television production, specializing in development, finance and brand licensing. This gives her experience not only working on large budget productions, but also completing them on time and under budget. You can see some of her work like “Hemingway and Gelhorn” on HBO.
Most recently, April has teamed with a group of knowledgeable politicos to form the Political Consulting Firm - Freeman & Associates.
April works tirelessly to raise money through the means of grassroots donations, because she believes in grassroots campaigning to its core, and wants to ensure that people who donate to her campaign are aware of her personal investment.
April is a long time resident of Southwest Florida who resides in Northern Lee County. She is married to her high school sweetheart David, who works as an HVAC Specialist. April and David have two daughters, and two adorable grandchildren.
April Freeman is a Writer and Producer who has specialized in Entertainment Promotions, Product Placement, Corporate Sponsorship, Marketing, Publicity and Public Relations for many types of creative artists and athletes who changed her focus to well established Entertainment Productions.
Since 1982, April has given her expertise to projects in the entertainment industry while making contacts with fortune 500 companies and "A list" celebrities in sports and entertainment.
April has nearly two decades of experience working on feature film, television series and reality show projects, specializing in Brand Marketing for feature film projects as well as Sponsorship for events, Independent film and production companies.
In addition to her media production work, April has experience in finding funding for several charity organizations, working with major record labels, she has been responsible for finding sponsorship for concert tours as well as endorsement deals for artists signed to those labels.
April is the author to a series of children's books, a published sports writer, currently authoring a self help book and a political guide for women.
April has also worked freelance in the advertising industry organizing promotional projects, she was a key player in the City of Detroit Anti-Arson Campaign created and headed by Mayor Dennis Archer.
Before becoming a full time resident of Florida more than a decade ago, April worked on the election campaigns of several Detroit area politicians.
In addition to April's long public relations background, she has musical and acting experience and has worked as a design stylist & master floral/food designer for several magazine and catalog photo shoots, television commercials, public service announcements, short and industrial films.
April was named, honored and awarded the "2005 Business Woman of the Year" by the RCCC Business advisory council during a White House Dinner hosted by President George W. Bush.
WORK IN HER COMMUNITY:
Communications & Political Experience
April was a Get Out The Vote director in Cape Coral for the 2012 Presidential Election, where she set records for voter turnout.
As Deputy State Lead and Press Liaison in Florida for the Presidential Inaugural Committee’s 2013 National Day of Service, April personally organized 23 events, for more than 200 volunteers, who collectively pledged to donate more than 65,000 hours of service to their communities.
April was a Nominee for the FL19 Congressional Special Election and November General Election in 2014. After court ordered re-districting redrew a portion of southwest Florida she became a Congressional Nominee for the 2016 Election in FL17.
As an advocate for change, April spent nearly all of 2015 speaking to groups of students about the importance of voting.
In 2016, April took her voice to the big stage, speaking to thousands of people at events with Former President Bill Clinton and Vice Presidential Nominee, Tim Kaine.
April has chaired a number of community committees and organizations throughout her adult life, including the Fort Myers-Naples Chapter of The National Organization for Women.
City of Detroit Anti-Arson Campaign
April was a key player in the 1995 Anti-Arson Campaign led by Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer.
On a typical day, Detroit, Michigan reports 40 to 60 fires per day, but pre-Halloween pranks turned destructive in the 1970’s when hundreds of fires were set deliberately throughout the city.
A record of number of 810 arson fires were set during the 1984 Halloween period.
Arson is a violent crime and a public health problem that causes injuries and deaths, destroys homes, and destabilizes neighborhoods.
Our 1995 campaign mobilized roughly 35,000 volunteer citizens, who joined organized anti-arson patrols, and were able to accomplish a successful, complex, community-based intervention preventing 100% off pre-Halloween Arson Fires.
"I fully understand the importance of community participation and multi-sectoral partnerships in program planning and implementation." --April Freeman
FAST GROWING LIST OF 2018 CONGRESSIONAL ENDORSEMENTS:
- Women's Empowerment Political Action Committee (We-PAC)
- Democracy For America / Broward Chapter (DFA-Broward)
- Florida One Million Gays (Florida OMG!)
- The National Organization for Women (NOW PAC) - 2016 General, 2014 Midterm and Special Election
- Senator Nan Rich - 2016 General, 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Florida State Senator Dwight Bullard - 2016 General, 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Democrats Advancing Progressive Action in Congress (DAPAC) - 2016 General, 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- One Million Gays (SWFL OMG!) 2016 General, 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- The Florida AFL-CIO - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- SW Florida Central Labor Council AFL-CIO - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- National Women's Political Caucus - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Women's Campaign Fund - 2014 Special Election
- Vote in Women - 2014 Midterm
- Progressive Democrats of America - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- The Alliance for Retired Americans - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- The International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- The Service Employees International Union / Florida (SEIU) - 2014 Midterm
- The United Steelworkers Union (USW) - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- The Steelworkers Organization of Active Retirees (SOAR) - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Southwest Florida Chapter of the AFL-CIO - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- UA Plumber Pipe-fitters Local 725 - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Democratic Women's Club of Florida - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Lee County Democratic Party - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Collier County Democratic Party - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Democratic Black Caucus of Lee County - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Democratic Club of Cape Coral - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Bonita Springs Democratic Club - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Congressman Bob Clement - Tennessee's 5th District & Board Member of Former Members of Congress - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
- Theresa Watkins Brown - Councilwoman in the City of Fort Myers
- Bill Shoemaker - Councilman for the City of Roseville - 2014 Midterm & Special Election
OTHER NOTABLE ENDORSEMENTS:
- Democracy for America - Broward Chapter
- Democratic Party of Lee County
- Abbe Forman PhD - President of the LGBTQA Democratic Caucus of Lee County
- Clean Water Initiative of Florida
- John & Ruth Scott - SW Florida Environmental Activists
- Kathy Mayo - President Of Naples-Fort Myers National Organization for Women
- Women's Empowerment Political Action Committee
- Sandra McClinton - Vice President for Democratic Women's Club of Florida
- International Union of Painters & Allied Trades (IUPAT)
- UA Plumber Pipe-fitters
- 2016 Democratic Nominee for United States House of Representatives - Florida's 17th Congressional District
- 2014 Democratic Nominee for United States House of Representatives - Florida's 19th Congressional District Special-Election
- 2014 Democratic Nominee for United States House of Representatives - Florida's 19th Congressional District Midterm
- National Organization for Women (NOW) - 2014 PRESIDENT, 2015 BOARD MEMBER - Fort Myers / Naples Chapter
- Democratic Labor Caucus of Florida - Lee County - Founding Member
- The Women's Campaign School at Yale University - Class of 2013 Graduate
- Emily's List Political Opportunity Program (POP) - 2013 Graduate
- Temple Beth Shalom - Cape Coral, Florida - Member
- League of Women Voters - Florida - Member
- Democratic Women's Club of Florida - Member Lee & Collier County Chapters
- ACLU - Member
- Democratic Club of Cape Coral - Member, 2013 Vice President & 2014 Board Member
- Democratic Party of Lee County - Precinct Committeewoman