Last week, I couldn’t speak so instead of focusing my energy calling an endless list of donors, I spent my time completing questionnaires for endorsements that with any luck, will be accompanied by a check so we can increase our ability to reach voters.
It was then, I ran into an interesting question; Why are you a Democrat?
Now, that’s an intriguing question, isn’t it?
At first, I thought to myself; "I’m not always sure anymore..."
The party does have it’s issues, and I get zero support, even though I’ve raised more money than my opponent has ever spent on his reelection, and polling puts me neck and neck in a race that I can absolutely win —but still nada, no support. Heck most of the time, I can’t even get a return phone call.
Then I got serious, because being a Democrat means more to me than the support I don’t receive from the party.
I have not always been a Democrat, and as a 52 year old wife, mother and grandmother who was raised in a staunchly Republican home, the decision to be a Democrat is nothing I took lightly. However, in light of who I am, and what my values have always been, being a Democrat is where I fit into the current political system.
- I believe everyone deserves as many chances as it takes, to get what they want out of life.
- I believe in helping those in need.
- I fervently believe in tolerance, and that all people are equal no matter their race, religious belief, profession, gender, gender identifier or who they love.
- I believe all women should be allowed to make their own choices regarding reproductive health.
- I believe all children are entitled to a good education and deserve to feel safe in school.
- I hold sacred the freedoms provided to us through the Constitution, and that the Constitution is a living and breathing document written by our forefathers to change with the times.
- I believe in a Constitutional Amendment to reverse Citizens United, so we can once and for all, take dark and secret money out of politics and give the government back to The People.
- I believe in reasonable solutions for preventing guns from getting into the wrong hands.
- I believe we need to close loopholes and increase taxes for the 1%, so the 99% won’t need to struggle just to get by.
- I believe in fair-trade, not free-trade, and that we need to stop outsourcing jobs for corporate profit and keep good paying jobs right here in the United States.
- I believe in increasing the minimum wage and in allowing workers the right to organize and collective bargain.
- I believe Affordable Healthcare is a basic human right and not a privilege for the elite.
- I believe in ending our dependence on fossil fuels and in a nationwide ban on fracking, while transitioning to only clean renewable energy.
- I believe in change and building a clean and healthy environment for future generations.
I hold these values and beliefs close to my heart --they are what drive this campaign every day and if you’re with me on any of them, I need your help.
Please support this campaign by making a donation of $20, $50, $100 or what you can today.
When I win my race, it will be because of champions like you, and the hard work my team and I invest every single day.
I look forward to being your voice in Washington.
Thank you for all you do.
Donate Now Using
If you've saved your payment information with ActBlue Express,
your donation will go through immediately.
Please mail checks payable to:
Elect April Freeman
PO Box 152198
Cape Coral, FL 33915-2198